With summer getting hotter by the day, taking care of your baby’s sweaty skin becomes more important than ever. Baby powders can help. There are many available in the market today — how do you choose the best baby powder? What should you look for in a baby powder so that it works well for your baby’s unique skin conditions? If you are looking for answers to these questions, keep reading.
Why is it important to use baby powder?
It is important to use baby powder for multiple reasons. A baby powder contains ingredients that absorb excess moisture and oil from your baby’s skin, which is crucial for preventing rashes such as heat rash. Heat rash is caused by moisture getting trapped on your baby’s skin. The sweat glands get blocked, and this results in a reddish rash that is usually warm to the touch and painful. Using baby powder helps prevent rashes. Other than that, the folds of your baby’s skin, such as neck creases, elbows, etc., are prone to accumulating excess moisture. Using baby powder in these areas reduces skin-to-skin friction and allows your baby to feel comfortable in every weather.
What to look for while choosing a baby powder?
Choosing the right baby powder is important to gain maximum benefits. Here are a few things to look for in a good baby powder:
- Talc-free formula: Talc is a harmful ingredient for your baby’s and your health as well. It is used to absorb moisture and reduce friction in many baby powders, but it can be contaminated with asbestos, which is known to be a cancer-causing chemical. To avoid any detrimental effects, look for safe, talc free baby powder
- Natural, safe ingredients: If you are wondering how will a baby powder be effective if it doesn’t contain talc, the answer is naturally absorbent ingredients. Ingredients like Corn Starch, which is a household staple in Indian homes, efficiently absorb moisture and excess oil from your baby’s skin. Oat Kernel Flour and Kaolin are also natural and safe ingredients that not only absorb excess moisture and oil from the skin but also soothe irritated skin with their natural antioxidants. CITTA’s Soothing Baby Powder is made with these very ingredients to keep your baby’s skin sweat-free and prevent rashes naturally.
- Free from harsh chemicals: This is an important consideration for all baby skincare products. Babies have delicate skin which is more prone to irritation and infections. Look for a baby powder that is free of harsh chemicals like parabens, sulphates, silicones, mineral oils, toxins, and allergens that can potentially irritate your little one’s skin.
- Fine texture: A good baby powder should easily glide on your baby’s skin. Look for a fine texture.
Dermatologically tested and approved: Ensure that the baby powder you choose is dermatologically tested and approved as safe for babies. When it comes to your baby, you should only trust brands that follow stringent testing procedures, like CITTA. Our products are formulated after extensive research and undergo multiple tests to ensure maximum safety for your baby’s skin. They are made with ethically sourced natural ingredients and manufactured in a hygienic environment with rigorous quality checks.
Which baby powder is best for babies?
Considering the above criteria, the best baby powder is talc-free, natural, free from harsh chemicals, dermatologically tested, and has a fine texture that glides easily on the skin. CITTA’s Soothing Talc-Free Powder is a great option.
How should I use baby powder? And how much?
Many people are unaware of the correct usage of baby powder. Here are a few pointers to help you use baby powder correctly for your little one:
- Do not apply directly onto your baby’s skin: Sprinkle a little baby powder on your palm, away from your baby’s face, and then apply gently onto your baby’s skin. Baby powder contains fine particles which could otherwise be ingested by your little one.
- Use sparingly: Use only a small quantity of powder at a time, as necessary. If you apply too much baby powder, the excess will fall off your baby’s skin anyway. Also, there are chances that the baby powder may accumulate in your baby’s skin folds if applied in large quantities, which might irritate your baby’s skin.
- Do not apply baby powder on your baby’s face: Apply only in areas with the maximum accumulation of moisture, like folds of the skin, neck creases, armpits, elbow creases, and back of the knees. Applying baby powder on your baby’s face can again lead to the ingestion of fine particles, which can cause health issues in your baby such as breathing difficulties and lung damage.
- Keep the baby powder away from your baby’s reach to avoid ingestion
Is baby powder safe for newborns?
With a major baby care brand being sued over the safety of their baby powder, many parents are worrying if baby powders are safe for their little ones. Talc-free, toxin-free, and dermatologist-approved baby powders are safe for newborns. The correct usage of a baby powder is also an important factor that determines the safety of a baby powder. At CITTA, we take extra efforts to ensure that our baby powder formula is gentle and safe for newborns. Since our baby powder contains Corn Starch, which has larger particles than talc, it also reduces the risk of ingestion, while being equally effective as a talc-based powder at absorbing excess moisture and oil from your baby’s skin. Oat Kernel Flour and Kaolin in CITTA’s Baby Powder add the extra benefits of soothing your baby’s skin and protecting it against rashes.
Choosing the correct baby powder can feel like an overwhelming task with so many options in the market. But if you read the product labels carefully, and make the considerations listed in this article, you can choose a baby powder that is safe and effective for your baby.