11 February 2021
Coconut has been a huge part of my childhood right from the time when grandma used to give that coconut champi or maa making that besan ki sabzi. Coconut is generally an essential Indian ingredient found in every household over generations in the form of oil, milk, coconut water, etc. Its a super food consisting of many health benefits from A to Z. It contains a high nutritional value of protein 4.57 grams to carbohydrates of 6.35 grams per serving and has several healing properties. This is particularly one of the main reasons why people include coconut in their daily dietary plans.
Especially, in South India, people are greatly fond of coconut reason being its major health benefits and versatile nature. A single serving of coconut meat is enough for your skin, hair, weight management, heart problems, and keeps you hydrated. If we talk about coconut milk, it is a great supplement for people who have poor gut health and vegans. It has the richness of probiotics too. Coconut’s primary benefits are ailment in slow digestion, improving insulin resistance which in turn improves blood sugar levels, reducing stress, asthma cure, maintaining cholesterol levels, and many more.
Let's find out in detail all the amazing benefits of this super fruit in the following points:-
- Radiant skin - As coconut oil has natural moisturizing, antifungal, antibacterial properties, you can use it as a moisturizer for your dry skin to gain that radiant look. One can even use it as a DIY face mask to hydrate their skin. The deep nourishment of the coconut oil prevents the early appearance of wrinkles and retains the youthful skin by opening the pores and letting the skin absorb more efficiently. Even coconut water is equally effective on acne, black spots, blemishes and minimizes skin rashes and irritations. Coconut oil can also be used as a scrub to clean your face by rubbing it in a circular motion.
- Beauty regime - Now you can make your lip gloss at home by simply mixing a little bit of your lipstick with coconut oil. It can also be used as an eye cream or for removing eye makeup. Coconut oil also works on waterproof mascara as well. You can put some oil on a cotton ball and gently sweep it over and your eyes. The oil works great for dry skin and leaves the area hydrated as well. Once you’re done, you can wash your face as usual with water or face wash whatever you prefer. Daily basis use can moisturize your skin and rejuvenate it completely. It’s best to use it every night before bed and wash early in the morning.
- Immunity Booster - Immunity is the most important word in today's world especially in corona’s time, but you're secured if you're consuming raw coconut and its value-added forms. Coconut naturally has antibiotic and antiviral traits which boost your immunity to a more healthy future. Its quick to absorb and easy to digest features are wonderful if you consume it in a moderate quantity.
- Healthy hair- Remember those good old champi days in childhood? Be it hairfall, a stressful day, dry or rough scalp, hair loss, all these problems had one simple solution and that was a hot coconut champi. Coconut is rich in vitamins and minerals, prevents hair loss and hair thinning. You can also apply oil before washing your hair as it reduces the amount of water absorbed by the hair shaft and does not damage the wet hair. Coating your hair in oil provides nourishment to hair growth resulting in softer and smoother hair, making it less likely to snag or break. This day to daycare will help in maintaining the growth that you want with glossy and healthy hair.
- Weight loss - Did you know that 61% of coconut is all fiber? Coconut when consumed raw helps in the loss of weight. Yes, you heard it right, raw coconut helps you burn body fat rapidly, increases energy expenditure, suppresses appetite, and is a great choice for low card diets. The good gut health and bowel movement that comes with it will help you retain that perfect shape.
- Reduces stress- Stress is just another word that comes along with everything in today's world. It compromises mental and somatic stress which leads to hypertension and depression so stress management is equally important. Coconut is a valuable alternative to antidepressant drugs and could be used in the form of meat, milk and water to reduce stress. As it’s a natural product the fear of side effects is not there. Due to its antioxidant properties, coconut milk can also be used to relieve anxiety or panic motions.
- Heart disease - The wonders of coconut oil also involve the benefits it transfers to the human heart. It raises HDL the 'Good' cholesterol, keeping the heart healthy and happy. Many people also believe that eating raw coconut can lower the risk of heart diseases. Recent researches have also claimed that coconut rich diet can boost mental function in people with Alzheimer’s disease but it has largely remained unsupported.
- Cooking - All varieties of coconut provide you one or the other benefits. You can find both green and brown coconut at any shop nearby your house. Coconut and its all forms can be used in cooking be it oil, butter, sugar, water, milk, or meat, even the shell of the coconut can be used as a cup and recycled to save the environment. The biggest advantage is that it's immensely healthy and delicious so nobody complains about its consumption. Although, coconut oil is rich in saturated fat the medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) make it different from the other saturated fats. There are a number of varieties that you can try with coconut, including raw matcha coconut cream pie, lemon coconut bar, low sugar coconut raspberry oatmeal, Thai coconut curry chicken, low carb coconut shrimp, low carb coconut macaroons, pancakes, omelets, etc. You can use coconut flakes for toppings, desserts, side dishes, or baked goods. However, you should not use coconut oil for deep frying the reason being, the nutritional value of every coconut food or beverage varies substantially.
- Nutritious and Healthy - Coconut water contains lauric acid which is considered equivalent to mother’s milk. It is a load of nutrition and is the best alternative to water as it is way tastier and wholesome. It keeps you hydrated, replaces lost electrolytes, and improves the immune system. So in short, coconut is an abundance of benefits and should be used and consumed on a day-to-day basic ardently.